Male Infertility Treatment in Hollywood, FL
One-third of all infertility problems are caused by the male partner. Though fertility can be seen as a woman’s issue, it’s vital that both men and women get tested if a couple is struggling to conceive.
Urologist Richard Levin, MD is board certified by the American Board of Urology and has over 25 years of experience diagnosing and treating male infertility. If you’re having difficulty conceiving in the Hollywood, FL area, Dr. Levin may be able to help. Give our urology clinic in Aventura, FL a call today to schedule an appointment. Call (305) 932-4444, or request an appointment online.
What Causes Male Infertility?
A man can be infertile for a number of reasons, including:
STDs – If chlamydia and gonorrhea are left untreated, they can cause infertility in men.
Hormonal Imbalances – Hormonal imbalances in the pituitary and thyroid glands can cause infertility. Luckily, hormonal imbalances that cause infertility can be treated with medication.
Blockages – It is possible for men to be born with blockages in the testicles. The blockages can prevent sperm from getting into the semen.
Retrograde ejaculation – Retrograde ejaculation is a disorder where semen doesn’t come out of the penis during ejaculation. Instead, it enters the bladder. This can be caused by diabetes, medications, and bladder surgery.
Lifestyle or environmental factors – Excessive exercise, drug use, and other factors can affect fertility.
How Is Male Fertility Diagnosed?
Where the male is suspected of being infertile, physicians have several tests and procedures to confirm a diagnosis. These include:
- A semen analysis to provide information about the quantity and quality of both the semen and the sperm it contains. Semen collection is generally done on two different days as samples from the same man can be different at different times.
- Blood work may be ordered to check hormone levels of follicle-stimulating hormones (FSH) and testosterone (T).
- If the semen analysis test results aren’t normal, additional tests may be ordered by your physician.
Treating Male Infertility in Aventura, FL
Treatments for male infertility may include:
- Medication to treat hormone imbalances and erectile dysfunction.
- Surgery to correct or repair abnormalities or damage to reproductive organs. Surgery can be effective for repairing blockages in the tubes that carry sperm.
- Surgery can also be used for repair of varicocele.
Schedule a Fertility Consultation
If you and your partner are struggling to conceive in the Miami area, contact urologist Richard Levin, MD by calling (305) 932-4444 for more information on male infertility. You can also request an appointment online. Dr. Levin treats male infertility for men from Aventura, Hollywood, North Miami, North Miami Beach, Hallandale, and the surrounding area.